Wednesday, May 27, 2009

birthday dinners

As a former home-schooler (daughters now grown), I am now teaching French to a local lass who is being home-schooled on the internet.
I think it is impossible to learn a language this way. You need to hear it and more than mechanical voices. Anyway, we have been having fun and I am amazed at how much French I have retained after more years away than I will ever admit to!
So we were sitting in my dining room conjugating the verb ĂȘtre, when in walks eldest daughter. The one who no longer lives at home. She has come over to cook a dinner for her god-mother's bachelor brother for his birthday. I have just spoken with said god-mother and was under the impression that this meal would include strip steak. ED had also just spoken with her and was under the impression that lasagna was on the menu. As Eldest Daughter said 'it's as if my phone has a filter on it that when I say one thing, she hears another!'
So she made the lasagna and took it an a birthday cake over and birthday boy seems VERY happy. so I guess the confusion was worth it! Always nice when we can do something for someone else, isn't!?

The potatoes and radishes have sprouted. Pumpkins, squash, and cukes went in yesterday, along with the tomato and pepper plants. We tried to start our own plants this year. Back in Feb. but NO luck. A few sprouted but nothing matured enough for transplanting. I wonder what the secret is?

3 comments:

  1. Tres bien. Pomme de terre will be bon later in summer. It just so happens that this week I have been remembering my French drills from high school- not sure what triggered that.

    Michele, Anne, vous travaillez, er non, nous regardons le television, pourquoi?

    Les Duponts arrive dans une heure.

    And that is purely from memory right down to the pomme de terre, so if there are misspellings etc. Oh well. You know what I mean, probably.

    When in doubt, lasagna out. She did the right thing.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fixed the following twice problem. Wow! Now I can go fix all the other peoples's ones.

    By the way, you began following me when my blog title was After all, tomorrow is another day. You may want to change it to 2 Thinks to Share, which is the new title. But of course you do not have to. Up to you.
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I place mine in either a seed starter bin with a plastic dome or in cups covered with plastic wrap. I've found that keeping them inside a spare room with plenty of sun and keeping the soil moist does fairly decent. When it warms up, I move them outside for a couple weeks to adjust the seedlings to the temperature and then plant as directed. The BEST seedling results have been with yellow squash, cucumbers, cherry tomato vines, parsley, basil and beans. I find that peppers don't do so well here but that's probably a difference in soil. You might have better results with different things. :)

    ReplyDelete