Friday, June 12, 2009

12 June 2009

Well...we are once again clean. Actually we have been clean all along, but it is now MUCH easier to be clean.
About a year to a year and a half ago, our shower developed a leak. A steady drip, drip, drip that drove one insane. I was forever trying to tighten down the handles. Well, TheatreTech decided to fix it about a month ago. He took it carefully apart and then discovered that it wasn't as easy as a washer and our budget didn't count for a new set of handles right at that moment! So....he reassembled it (loosely) and we were to make do.
Enter yours truly to get ready for work. I get the hot water on and turn the cold water knob the usual quarter turn and step into the shower enclosure. To be scalded! The cold did NOT come on. No one was home, probably a good thing, so I traipsed out to the kitchen tool drawer (full of all kinds of interesting things) and found a screw driver and a pair of pliers. I managed to get the knob off and fix it so that I could get cold water. But you couldn't really tell when the water was turned off. The knob just kept turning so you had to really listen for running water. If you failed to find just the right amount of pressure to disconnect the flow, there would be water dripping into the cellar.
And thus it stayed for the next month until money freed up. So Saturday TT tackled the job again, only to discover that nothing we have is the size now available in the stores. My father did the original installation (and we had quite a discussion on just when that was - somewhere between 1972 and 1984) and I am sure used whatever the common size was then, but none of the sets fit so we ended up spending twice as much to buy individual pieces and assemble them to work. But the good news is that, after a full day's work, he could shower and the knobs turn off the water just like they are suppose to! Yay for our team!

1 comment:

  1. As we say here, "Just like downtown." Very impressive you got the cold water to come out all by yourself with a tool from the kitchen drawer, KD. I hate dripping faucets!

    Also, thanks for the comment on my Vicks post. My mother's comment in my e-mail box only reflected a bit of disgruntlement about the fact that I forgot to say that the throat swabbing with Argoyl grease really worked. Like a charm. Your comment alluded, also, to the fact that at some magic point in maturity, some people actually asked for this treatment to rid themselves of their sore throat.

    I never reached that point. But perhaps I should adjust the post a bit.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete