Monday, November 2, 2009

Fall into Flavor 3


Well for this week's entry into Fall Into Flavor, I had my recipe all in mind. Only earlier in the week I dropped my recipe box! It is a large one, about 3X5X8 and I have a LOT of recipes in it! All the cards went helter-skelter across the floor. I still haven't got them all sorted out and re-filed. (maybe later this evening?) Anyway, I knew the one I wanted was on a day-glow orange card. As it turns out, are a bunch of others. Took me a while, but I finally found it and here it is!

Pizelles

First you MUST have a pizelle press - either electric (my preference) or one of the old cast iron ones. If using the iron ones you are on your own for timing and how to heat them...never did that, so I don't know how they work. While looking for a picture of these cookies, I discovered there are all kinds of stove-top griddles/irons, so anyone can make these!

Preheat pizelle iron while mixing ingredients.

1 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
6 eggs
4 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt
2 tablespoons almond or anise extract (or 1 tablespoon anise extract and 1 tablespoon anise seed)
3 1/2 cups flour
Cream sugar and butter till smooth. Add eggs one at a time and mix thoroughly. Add baking powder, salt and extracts. Add flour last.
When the griddle is hot, place a walnut size* ball of dough in the center and close the lid. These cook in a minute to a minute and a half. You will have to time your own griddle. Remove with the tines of a fork and cool on a rack. They will be crisp when they are cool. This recipe makes a lot! They freeze great.

How big is a walnut? That is what the recipes says so I was trying to think what would be more universal. Maybe a ping pong ball? Experiment, see what works for you. I have 2 griddles and usually make 2 batches, one almond and one anise. Hope you like them! (PS I 'borrowed' this picture from the internet - I won't make mine till closer to T-day! but they really do look like this)

3 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing the recipe...looks like fun...I followed the Thanksgiving challenge link you posted and I'm going to participate so thank you for that too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I haven't thought about those for years! Now, where's that machine of mine...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1 and 1/2 c. of sugar, 1 c. of butter and 6 SIX eggs- whoa- hold the diet for these little babies. Perhaps I could hang mine on the Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete