Sunday, October 25, 2009

Fall into Flavor 2

Linda over at 2nd Cup of Coffee started this meme - check out all the other great 'fall treats!'.


Cottage Bread

This is an easy recipe for a great accompaniment to any meal. We especially like it in the cool months with a hearty stew.

2 cups hot tap water
1 & 1/2 tablespoons dry yeast (1 & 1/2 packages)
1 heaping teaspoon salt
6 cups flour (approximately)
1 egg white

Mix hot water and yeast and allow to proof for about 10 minutes (this means get all bubbly and foamy looking.)
Add salt and 1 cup flour, mix thoroughly. Add additional flour one cup at a time until the dough is not sticky. Turn out onto a floured board (Do NOT rinse bowl yet!) and knead until smooth and elastic. Use some olive oil and grease the bowl in which you mixed the dough. Place the dough in the oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap and let rise till double in size - about 1 hour.
When dough has doubled punch it down and divide into two sections with one about half again as large as the other. Knead the larger ball in to a smooth ball and flatten slightly. Brush with whipped egg white (add a little water to the egg wash for better 'crustiness') Form smaller ball the same way and place on top of the first ball. Push your index finger down through the top into the lower ball. This helps hold the two together. Brush it with egg white also. Place immediately into oven and turn the oven on to 400 degrees. Do NOT preheat the oven. Bake until bread sounds hollow when thumped on the bottom. This is best when done on a baking stone, but a heavy baking sheet will do in a pinch.
When bread is done cool it on a wire rack. Enjoy.

7 comments:

  1. Hardy bread with soup/stew is on of my favorites, which I why I order that ever time at Panera, my favorite restaurant. So you can imagein how good this sounds to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy making bread and have never tried this. I think this will be something for my daughter and me to try when she is home from college!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank-you for visiting my blog. Never feel inadequate! If we all wrote in a similar style, it would be awfully boring:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds great - Yeast is always a challenage for me put I will sure try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love baking bread, this sounds so good!

    Isn't Fall Into Flavor too much fun!

    Have a great week!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at all these people who want to bake this yummy bread! Yeah! I want to bake this yummy looking bread, too. Thanks for the recipie, K.D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never made bread. Isn't that horrible? I must try this recipe.

    Thanks so much for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete