Monday, October 12, 2009

Do they ever grow up?

I got home from work and Tai Chi class today, to hear my phone ringing. It was youngest DD. She of the college dorm. Seems she is sick. Cold, sinus - hopefully not flu, but whatever, she wants mom to bring her some soup. Chicken broth in particular - bibbles would be even better.
Now Mondays are hectic, I work, have my class and then I have a Girl Scout meeting. So the earliest I could even start to drive to the college is 8:40 in the evening and it is a 40 minute drive, so this is an act of pure love! She said she had already tried the stores that are in the dorms (sure didn't have those in MY day!!!) and they only had cream soups and she wanted broth. So I finally relented and said I would bring some up after GS.
Five minutes before the end of Scouts she calls, she has found soup in one of the stores. YAY I don't have to drive up.
But the episode has me thinking. When do we stop doing things for them? Do we ever? I remember, when Eldest DD was about 3, asking my father when he stopped worrying about me all the time and his response was, "I'll let you know when it happens." I suspect the rest is true too. As long as I can do for them, I probably will do for them. The trick is when to NOT do for them, but rather to let them grow and become the people they are meant to be.

2 comments:

  1. But they Neeeeed us. And it feels so good to be neeeeeded. I'd drive all night to bring Fash soup. I am a sucker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog! My DD is sick right now, too, with a head cold and I'd LOVE to be able to take her some soup but that pesky little 6,000 mile trip is the kicker :-)

    I loved Scouting and was in GS until high school, when we moved to a place that didn't have any troops for a 200 mile radius. Was very sad :-( Kept my sash with all my badges until I went away to college; stored my stuff in a friend's basement which flooded during my freshman year and I lost everything. But I still have great memories of camping, Scout meetings and the wonderful ladies who volunteered their time to lead the troops.

    ReplyDelete